Monday, November 21, 2011

Author Interview with Stacey Rourke

CB:Thank you for joining us today, I'm so excited to have you here, and know my
readers will enjoy it as well. 

About You:

CB:Can you tell us a little about yourself?
SR:Well, I’m a mom, wife, and self-proclaimed shoe addict.  I graduated from college with a Bachelors of Business Administration with a marketing focus.  Yet despite my excessive student loan debts I decided to pursue my true passion of writing.  And I couldn’t be happier with that decision.

CB:What quality do you most value in yourself? 
SR:My sense of humor.  My parents instilled it in me never to take myself too seriously and to find the humor in any situation.  Life is just generally more fun if you take time to laugh.

CB:In addition to writing, what else are you passionate about? 
SR:My children.  They’re my life.  My everything.  Everything I do, I do for them.
CB:I understand that, us mother's do everything with our children in mind.

CB:What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life? 
SR:In my private life; raising two healthy and happy kids. In my professional life; seeing The Conduit finally make it to publication.
CB:You should be proud, they are all major accomplishment's.

CB:Why do you write? 
SR:Because it’s my passion.  It’s what I was meant to do.  If I go too long without writing I go through withdrawals like an addict. It just makes me who I am.
CB:I thinbk you describes exactly how most writers feel. It's not what we do, it's who we are.

CB:What is your greatest strength as a writer? 
SR:Again I say my humor.  There aren’t many situations where being a chronic smarta*# is considered a positive attribute, thankfully in writing it is!

CB:Is there any new or established author whom you feel deserves more attention, and what is it that strikes you about his or her work? 
SR:Christopher Moore.  His twisted and demented humor is unparalleled and all kinds of wicked fun! 

About Writing:

CB:What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? 
SR:Before I start a new book I outline the story and plot for the entire novel.  From there I storyboard it like a movie or play.  I break it up into individual scenes to help me visualize it.  Then I can begin my first draft going scene by scene.  I have found that keeps me more focused.
CB:I think that is a whole talent on it's own, I can't story board, I just take off in a different direction anyway.
 
CB:Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it? 
SR:I think all writers’ heads occasionally get in the way of their work.  We expect every word, every sentence to be utter perfection.  That pressure stifles the creative process and just isn’t realistic.  Sometimes we just have to let go and WRITE! Let the ideas flow, knowing they may take you somewhere better than you could’ve possibly imagined. Or not. It could be utter crap, but that’s okay!  That’s why we edit! Either way, forcing yourself to push through and click away on those keys will unblock your creative constipation.

CB:What are your current / future projects? 
SR:I am currently working on the continuations of The Gryphon series and a few other literary projects that are still in development.

About your book:

SR:The Conduit tells the story of three siblings that move in with their Grandmother in Tennessee after a rash of break-ins in their hometown spooks their mother. A series of unexplainable events later and Celeste, the middle child, learns that because of an ancient pact her ancestor made in the 17th century she has been chosen to protect the Gryphon, the Protector of the Divine, from evil forces determined to possess him and harness his powers.  With her brother and sister by her side, and all of them sporting spankin’ new mystical powers, they set off to save the world.

CB:Have you acquired any good anecdotes surrounding this book? If so, could you share one? 
SR:The first draft of The Conduit was 110,000 words.  The published version is around 62,000 words.  I learned I can be way overly descriptive at times! There was a spaghetti making scene that read like I was writing a cookbook.  It, and a lot of details that didn’t pertain to the story at all, got cut. For very good reason.

CB:What would you most like readers to tell others about this book? 
SR:That it’s a fun, exciting, can’t miss read!

CB:How can readers help you promote this book? 
SR:Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, shout your love of this book from the rooftops and help spread the word that The Conduit is a MUST READ!
CB:I have confidence that they will.

CB:Where can readers find you and more about your book(s)? Where can they purchase your book(s)? 
SR:Find out more about my books at www.staceyrourke.com, follow me on Twitter @Rourkewrites, or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stacey-Rourke/112390402191876.  The Conduit is available for purchase for Amazon Kindle, Nook, Kobo, or at Smashwords.com

CB:Thanks again for joining us today Stacey. I can tell everyone that i have been totally wrapped up in your story and they should watch for my review on the 26th. And don't forget to leave some words of encouragement for this wonderful new author.

SR:Thanks so much for having me on your blog! It’s been a pleasure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog

Those who have the ability to be grateful are the ones who have the ability to achieve greatness. -Steve Maraboli Come join my new blog on...